Thursday, June 27, 2013

Good Food Lately

Matt and I have made some great things lately and I wanted to share them with you!

First, this quinoa casserole is so good. It may not be the prettiest food in the world, but we both LOVED it!

We added zucchini and used 2% cheddar (not white cheddar).
I recently made my own homemade gluten free granola. It was so easy! And much less expensive than the fancy gluten free granola brands at Whole Foods.

I used the recipe (linked above) as a guide to make my own granola. I sort of threw it together, but here were my steps:

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl: 3 cups GF Oats, two large handfuls of mixed nuts, a large handful of unsweetened coconut, a couple generous dashes of cinnamon, a dash of ginger, salt. 

Heat wet ingredients on the stove top together: 1/3 cup coconut oil, 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup agave syrup. 

Then mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Spread on a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil and bake at 325 for 20 minutes. Let cook, and mix in craisins and raisins (amount to your liking). 

Very simple! You don't have to be exact with it, just add in what you like :) I like to eat it with plain 0% Fage greek yogurt (no sugar added) and half a banana.

Accidental Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Made from this pin, but the end result will not look like the picture below!
This "recipe" is sort of a funny story. I had pinned this "healthy Wendy's Frosty", and the caption read: "skinny shake that tastes like wendy's frosty ¦ 3/4 cup almond milk, about 15 ice cubes, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1-2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/3 of a banana."

Well, the caption left off a couple key ingredients that were in the recipe when you clicked through, like vanilla protein powder (what makes the shake in the picture above creamy and Wendy's Frosty like).

When I realized what had happened, I threw in the rest of the banana and also a handful of coconut to give it bit more flavor. So the total mix of ingredients used were: 3/4 cup almond milk (I had unsweetened on hand), about 15 ice cubes, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1-2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I did one heaping spoonful), one banana, handful of unsweetened coconut. 

Although the end result was a mistake, it ended up being a really good and really refreshing low calorie/healthy afternoon pick me up.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this!! As I try to schlep off the pregnancy weight, healthy yummy recipes are exactly what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these recipes sound delish, I've never had quinoa, is it similar to rice? I may just have to try that granola recipe, sounds easy enough and I've been wanting to try and make it, I just didn't know if it would turn out right. Thank you for sharing.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate each and every comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...